Bellefontaine Examiner

Switch to desktop

Jeff. Township levy would support library

Hello, I am a student of the AP Government class at Benjamin Logan High School and we are researching local issues, levies and elections. I researched the upcoming Jefferson Township issue of maintaining and operating the Sloan Library. The projected voter turnout is only 11 percent. As students in the AP Government class were challenged with the task of motivating people to vote in the upcoming local election on November 5th, Jefferson Township officials are asking for a levy to fund the maintaining and operating of the library.

In my research I have found that if the levy is passed, there will be an increase of 0.5 millage on property tax for all residents living in Jefferson Township. There are on average 2,028 annual visits to the library as well as 624 visitors on their three Internet computers. The library currently has 7,980 print materials and 136 audio materials. The library is a non-profit organization. The library’s total operating revenue is $114,824 and the total operating expenditures are $55,106.

The library hosts various activities in Jefferson Township. Some of the activities include the toddler and preschool storytime and crafts and Library Club for kids ages 7-13. They also host an annual book sale during the Logan Hills Festival on Memorial Day weekend. The library also from time to time hosts the meetings of the Logan County Mayors Association. I would like to encourage all eligible voters to vote on this issue. You can vote at Tri-Valley Fire Department in Zanesfield. The address is 2568 Sandusky St., Zanesfield, OH 43360.

Brady Alexander Bechtel
Zanesfield

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn