Bellefontaine Examiner

Switch to desktop

Earning their wings in advance of heaven

Wow! This community we live in is awesome.    I just got home from the “Doors of Encouragement” auction, and I was truly overwhelmed. I wish I had each and every name of the wonderful people who actually bought the doors, the many, many loving hands that created them, the “behind the scenes” people who did all the extra work to make the auction such a tremendous success and the many “unsung heroes” who make this journey through cancer easier for those of us who have been chosen to take the actual journey.

I would love to give each and every one of them a huge hug and thank them from the very bottom of my heart. “Cancer sucks” is a huge understatement of the situation. But I have learned this: Cancer also creates heroes out of ordinary everyday people and allows us all to witness the depths of kindness and love that surrounds us.

People are amazing when given the opportunity.

Each and every person who was involved with this fundraising effort, earned several feathers for their wings, long before they get to Heaven. You have touched many hearts and brought untold blessings to many, many people.

If we all work together for a cure, someday cancer will be our generation’s polio, TB and smallpox — gone, but not forgotten. The journey may be rough but when we get there, it will be worth it.

So, to my personal “super hero” my little sister Debbie Wagy, to each and every person who steps up everyday to do what they never knew they could to, to every person who has not yet been called to help and to each and every person struggling on this journey: Thank you for all your efforts. Let’s keep “paying it forward,” keep the ball rolling and working together toward that cure.

Thank you one and all!

Bev McDonnell

Bellefontaine

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn