Created on Tuesday, 18 December 2012 Written by By RYAN DUNN, Findlay Courier Staff Writer
FINDLAY — A Dunkirk man is accused of robbing two businesses Monday before leading law enforcement on a vehicle pursuit that ended in a Findlay resident's front yard.
A Hancock County Sheriff’s deputy surveys the car a Dunkirk man allegedly used to flee from authorities after committing two robberies Monday morning. (Photo by Brian Szabelski)
The chase also prompted a short lockdown at two Hancock County schools.
Jeremy A. Nutt, 37, stole cash from the Marathon gas station in Vanlue at about 10:50 a.m. before driving away in a maroon 1984 Oldsmobile, said Sgt. Jason Seem with the Hancock County Sheriff's Office.
Nutt refused to stop for deputies who saw his car shortly thereafter, and a pursuit began on Ohio 12 and Hancock County 236, Seem said.
Findlay police joined the chase as it continued onto McManness Avenue and Sandusky Street in Findlay. Nutt abandoned his car a few feet from a home at 900 W. Sandusky St. and was captured at about 11:20 a.m.
Earlier that morning, Nutt stole money from the Dunkirk Post Office, said Sheriff Michael Heldman.
Hardin County Sheriff Keith Everhart could not be reached for comment on the case.
Nutt was being treated in a Toledo hospital for self-inflicted injuries Monday. No one else was injured, Heldman said.
Though initial reports indicated an armed robbery, Heldman said investigators were unable to find a firearm on Nutt.
"It could have been so much worse," Heldman said.
An employee with the post office said she was not permitted to comment. The convenience store could not be reached.
Liberty-Benton and Arcadia Schools were placed under lockdowns during the chase.
Liberty-Benton Superintendent Jim Kanable said the district was notified of the incident by a call from Hancock County Sheriff's Deputy Mike McGuire, a school resource officer. A Level 2 lockdown was issued in which student movement is restricted and entranceways are put under extra watch.
The entire lockdown lasted for about 15 minutes and there was no incident at the school, Kanable said.
Parents and students were notified of the lockdown via emergency alerts and a letter will be sent home to parents explaining the situation today.
"It is just one of those situations that we have to deal with, but the system works and we keep our students safe," Kanable said.
Arcadia Superintendent Laurie Walles said that school also was locked down for 15 minutes after being notified of the chase.