Bellefontaine Examiner

Switch to desktop

Grill failure sets fire to home

A propane grill caught fire outside a Rushsylvania area home Sunday and spread into the single-story home.

CR-25-fire

A propane grill caught fire early Sunday outside the residence at 2486 N. County Road 25 and caused an estimated $35,000 damage to the home. (EXAMINER PHOTO | T.J. HUBBARD)

Resident Ron Justice told firefighters of the Bellefontaine Fire a smoke detector alerted him and his wife of the fire on the outside of their 2486 N. County Road 25 home.

The grill was next to the house and caught fire around 1:30 a.m. It spread up the side of the house and into the attic of the residence.

Mr. Justice used a garden hose to extinguish the fire on the outside the home.

Firefighters observed smoke coming from the roof of the residence upon arriving with an engine around 2 a.m.

Bellefontaine’s crew of four men was able to access the attic and remove smoldering wood and insulation.

Dispatchers at the Logan County Sheriff’s Office were first called at 1:36 a.m. Rushcreek Township Fire Department was unable to muster a crew to respond, so the city department was dispatched to fight the fire.

Damage was estimated at $35,000.

Share this post

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn