Created on Friday, 14 February 2014 Written by JOEL E. MAST
A former West Liberty Police Officer and Champaign County Sheriff’s dispatcher was charged in a Logan County grand jury indictment with multiple charges including felonious assault.
Scott D. Phillips, 37, of 2397 County Road 18, has been charged with felonious assault, a second-degree felony, with the specification that he is a repeat violent offender; third-degree felony abduction; fourth-degree felony domestic violence; and resisting arrest, a second-degree misdemeanor.
He was arrested Jan. 26 after a series of events over two days. He allegedly choked his wife, Angela, with her shirt and then with a sweeper’s power cord.
She convinced him to stop but he would not let her leave.
The couple drove to Van Wert where Mrs. Phillips tried yet again to get away. They struggled until passersby helped her.
He drove home and barricaded himself in the home and threatened to kill himself.
Deputies of the Logan County Sheriff’s Office forced their way in and used a Taser to subdue him.
He previously served four years in prison after a September 2003 domestic incident in Bellefontaine in which he held his estranged wife at gunpoint while officers of the Bellefontaine Police Department surrounded the scene at 219 W. Williams Ave.
After a standoff, he surrendered peacefully.
He was sentenced for kidnapping and other charges for the incident.
Other indictments handed up Tuesday named:
• Edwin C. Guiles, 34, of 2232 County Road 10: two counts of trafficking in drugs, fifth-degree felonies; and two counts of possession of drugs, fourth-degree felonies; (Local man arrested for trafficking heroin)
• Lewis E. Snyder, 42, of 21143 N. U.S. Route 68, Belle Center: possession of drugs and trafficking in heroin, second-degree felonies;
• Dustany Foreman, 28, 210 Koke St., DeGraff: trafficking in drugs, a fifth-degree felony;
• Stephan Breeding, 41, of 8981 Auditorium St., Lakeview: gross sexual imposition, a third-degree felony;
• Robert Lawrence, 36, of Kenton: passing bad checks, a fifth-degree felony;
• Danielle Oldaker, 32, of 6956 County Road 47, West Liberty: theft of checks and 10 counts of forgery, fifth-degree felonies;
• Bradley Couch, 34, at large: forgery, fifth-degree felony;
• Heather Martindell, 30, of 112 Caroline St.: passing bad checks and theft, a fifth-degree felony;
• Lancson L. Bertch, 19, of DeGraff: grand theft and safecracking, fourth-degree felonies; and theft, a fifth-degree felony;
• Joseph P. Neil, 22, of Marysville: theft and forgery, fifth-degree felonies;
• Linda Sadler, 54, of 8573 State Route 355, Apt. 16A, Lewistown: theft, a fourth-degree felony;
• Adam Queen, 29, at large: four counts of theft of firearms and one count of having weapons under disability, third-degree felonies; (Deputies conclude burglary investigation with arrests)
• David Frazier, 28, 10639 County Road 26, West Mansfield: receiving stolen property, a fourth-degree felony;
• Diedre J. Mallow, 30, Norfolk, Va.: theft, a fifth-degree felony;
• Toni Henry, 24, of 6081 W. State Route 274, Huntsville: robbery, a third-degree felony;
• Kristina N. Bates, 31, at large: theft of drugs, a third-degree felony;
• Jair Mundy, 28, of 504 W. Chillicothe Ave.: domestic violence, a fourth-degree felony;
• Curt M. Leatherman, 29, of 1866 S. State Route 292, Zanesfield: possession of drugs, a fifth-degree felony; and
• Christopher Lee, 26, at large: abduction, a third-degree felony; and aggravated menacing and assault, first-degree misdemeanors.