Created on Wednesday, 04 December 2013 Written by JOEL E. MAST
Every so often, the blanket cupboard at the American Red Cross of Logan County gets a little bare.
Logan County Family Court Magistrate Dan LaRoche, left, and Sherri Timmers, executive director of the local Red Cross, hold blankets from the Share the Warmth collection barrel at Mad River Knife & Supply Co., 130 S. Main St., Suite 101, one of eight collection points in the county. (EXAMINER PHOTO | JOEL E. MAST)
So the agency has launched a Christmas blanket drive to replenish the stock.
“It’s worked well in the past,” said Executive Director Sherri Timmers. “It’s a good time to have a drive.”
Heading up the drive is Dan LaRoche, a Red Cross board member and magistrate with the Logan County Family Courts.
He lined up barrels from Ankim Enterprises, 1221 W. Sandusky Ave., and then used gift wrapping to decorate the barrels.
Barrels to receive blankets for the Share the Warmth campaign which runs through December are located at:
• Adams Ski & Snowboard, 3631 County Road 28, Zanesﬁeld;
• Belle Center Free Public Library, 103 S. Elizabeth St., Belle Center;
• Belle Printing, 118 S. Main St., Bellefontaine;
• The Citizens Bank of DeGraff, 101 N. Main St., DeGraff;
• C&R Pharmacy, 204 N. Detroit St., West Liberty;
• Fields Grocery, 139 S. Main St., West Mansﬁeld;
• Mad River Knife & Supply Co., 130 S. Main St., Suite 101, Bellefontaine; and
• Osgood State Bank, 165 E. Lake St., Lakeview.
The local chapter needs about 150 blankets to meet two years of demand. The blankets must be new and unused and of any size, but full-size blankets are especially needed.
Blankets are provided to individuals who have been victims of a disaster or fire.
The local chapter stores the blankets in plastic drums for use in Logan County. Blankets may go to the surrounding areas if the need arises, but the drive is intended to provide primarily for the local community, Ms. Timmer said.
It has been several years since the last Share the Warmth campaign.