Created on Monday, 15 July 2013 Written by THE BELLEFONTAINE EXAMINER STAFF
Fair staff and veterinarians were able to limit the spread of a common disease that infected three swine last week at the Logan County Fair.
The swine came down with erysipelas during the week, an infectious disease commonly found in pigs.
“We got the animals off the grounds (as soon as possible,)” fair board president Skip Jackson said today, adding that he followed up with the exhibitors and the affected swine have been treated with penicillin and are recovering.
Erysipelas is a short-term illness caused by a bacterium found in most pig farms. Excreted through saliva, stool or urine, the bacteria is almost always present, but doesn’t always develop into erysipelas.
The most susceptible animals are growing pigs, Mr. Jackson said, adding that fair veterinarians were diligent in examining other animals and limiting the spread of the illness.
Read complete story in Monday's Examiner. CLICK HERE to subscribe today!