Created on Tuesday, 29 January 2013 Written by MANDY LOEHR
Long-time English teacher retires
Bellefontaine Schools Board of Education members approved at their Monday evening meeting the promotion of the district’s high school principal to the position of executive director of instructional services beginning next school year.
Christine Galvin, who has been the Bellefontaine High School principal since 2009, begins her new role Aug. 1. She was issued a 250-day three-year contract and her salary was set at $88,072.50 per year.
She also was a former English teacher at Bellefontaine High School, and served as a principal at Hardin Northern Schools.
Superintendent Beth Harman said an internal candidate is being considered to fill Ms. Galvin’s principal position.
Dennis Showalter retired from the position of executive director of instructional services last year.
Members also accepted the retirement resignation of high school English teacher Diane Stein, effective May 31. She has worked in the district for 27 years and has 33 years of experience in education.
Treasurer Keith Krieger reported the district has worked out a Disaster Recovery Plan and reciprocal agreement with Licking Valley Local School District. This plan will provide a backup support for the district’s payroll, Web site and other computer-related systems in case of any kind of system failure or situation, such as a fire.
During the student liaison report, Dr. Todd Heydinger noted that Western Intermediate students recently collected $1,000 to purchase school supplies for children in Africa.
In other matters, the board:
• approved a change in time status for Cathy Wiley, gifted coordinator, to 50 percent and Desnee Wolters, Northeastern intervention, to 60 percent, effective Aug. 1;
• extended supplement contracts to Melanie Antram and Jere Daniels, musical production assistants; William Dixon and Darrin Vermillion, softball assistant; Christy Garver, Garth Miller and Larry Young, track assistants; Katina Godwin, musical production assistant; Cory King, musical sound and lights; and Matthew King, weight room coordinator;
• accepted a $312,960 Ohio Teacher Incentive Fund Awards Grant, $11,332.50 Ohio TIF Year 3 CLP Grant; and a $55,000 Title I School Improvement Grant;
• approved the Transformation Team and College and Career Readiness Team resignation of Nellie Schmidt, effective Jan. 4; and
• approved the following teachers as home instruction/tutors to be paid at the rate of $18 per hour: Krista Belser, Lori Horn, Judy Vassar and Robin Williams.
The next meeting is 6:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 11.